Variety's Bikes for Kids Programme provides disadvantaged Kiwi kids with the opportunity to have their own bike and be just like all the other kids. Each year, Variety presents over 400 brand new bikes and helmets to children across New Zealand at low decile schools allowing them to experience the freedom and independence that comes with owning a bike.
Individual children are nominated by their teachers, in recognition of being role models within their school and community, for having overcome adversity or just for being great kids who are missing out.
Just $250 provides a bike and helmet to a child in need, and to date, Variety has delivered over 5,500 bikes to deserving children all across New Zealand!
The benefits of giving a child a bike include:
- Creating equity in our community – giving children the same opportunities as their peers
- Creating lifelong memories and makes a lasting, ongoing impact
- Helping to build confidence, independence and self-esteem
- Delivery of health and wellbeing outcomes
- Encouraging children to use a bike for basic transportation